Saturday 16 July 2011

The best deal on Kellogg's Cereals and Strawberries!

I was recently at my local Superstore when I came across a great deal on Kellogg's Cereals:

Special K (475 g) for $3.48 (plus tax) when you buy 2 (includes a coupon for strawberries valued at $2.99)
Corn Flakes (750g) for $2.97 (plus tax) (also includes a coupon for strawberries valued at $2.99)
In Store Coupon: Save $3.00 when you buy three Kellogg's cereals

Because Special K is one of my favourite cereals and because I purchase a basket of strawberries every week, this was an excellent deal! Watch the math (I purchased two boxes of Special K and one box of Corn Flakes)

Special K x 2= $6.96 plus tax= $7.80
Corn Flakes= $2.97 plus tax= $3.33
Minus 3.00 Coupon Credit
Minus Credit for strawberries (2.99x3)= -$8.97
Plus tax which will eventually paid on strawberries= $1.08

Net cost of cereal after leveraging= $0.24

In the end, by leveraging the money I already pay for strawberries, I was able to purchase three boxes of cereal for $0.24. Without coupons and leveraging, the same products would cost me an additional $10.89 (including taxes).

Moral of the story: it pays to keep an eye out when you are walking down the grocery aisle. If you go through cereal quickly like me, sometimes there are some great coupons to be had! 

In sharing this example, I should articulate that it is important to be careful when making decisions around leveraging. My recommendation is to only leverage in those instances when you know you will use the additional coupons or promotions being offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment