Thursday 26 July 2012

Home-made blended coffee recipes

Summer is here and who doesn't want a cold blended coffee beverage on a hot afternoon? I am a huge fan of Starbucks frappucinos, but they sure are pricey. Recently, I came across some online recipes for home-made blended coffee beverages and they were great!

One blogger, Scott D. Irwin, indicated that his recipe cost $0.32 per unit to make. Now I haven't gone to the extent of measuring the cost of my own version since I didn't have to purchase all of the supplies, but I imagine it would be pretty similar given how comparable my recipe is. Much thanks to Scott and Alice Currah for their recipes which inspired mine. You might check out their blogs to sample their recipes.

Here's my version:

Make-your-own Mocha Blended Coffee Recipe:
*You will need a blender or food processor that is capable of crushing ice* 

In the blender, place:
  • 1 and 1/4 cups of milk (I prefer skim milk, but to your own taste)
  • 2 tablespoons of organic sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup
  • 3/4 cups of brewed coffee (I use Starbucks Medium Blend)
  • 2 cups of ice cubes
  • A pinch of xanthan gum (sprinkle throughout the mixture)
Blend on "pulse" or "low" speed for 20-40 seconds. Froth will develop, however, it will subside within a few minutes.

Pour into two smaller glasses (to share) or one larger glass (because why not!?!).

See above picture for a sample. Again, the froth disappears after a few minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment